How to Prepare for Laser Hair Removal
List of what NOT to do before your appointment:
- Do not wax, tweeze, or sugar before your appointment. Laser hair removal technology uses the hair shaft to transmit energy into the hair follicle to destroy it. If the hair is pulled out prior to the appointment, then the laser has no means to travel down into the skin to destroy the hair follicle.
- Do not use creams or deodorant prior to treatment. Ingredients in these products may irritate the skin and make it hypersensitive to the laser.
- Do not tan prior to laser hair removal. It is critical to avoid tanning prior for at least 2 weeks before your session. UV exposure can make the skin hypersensitive making the procedure more painful and even cause possible skin damage.
- Do not tan after laser hair removal. It is critical to avoid tanning for at least two weeks after laser hair removal. The laser can cause your skin to become sensitive to UV for a period of time. Tanning after the session can cause your skin to tan unnaturally and leave possible skin damage.
List of what to DO before your appointment:
- Inform laser technician of any medication you may be taking. Some medications can interfere with laser hair removal and make it more sensitive to laser light. Include topical medications as-well as oral.
- Shave before your appointment. It is recommended to shave a day prior to your treatment. With a clean shave, the laser will be able to easily identify the hair follicles without wasting energy on hairs that have already grown out.