Common Questions about Laser Hair Removal
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Laser therapy uses high-heat laser beams as a mild form of radiation. During the process, these laser beams heat up and damage your hair follicles.
Your hair follicles are located just below the skin. They’re responsible for producing new strands of hair. If the follicles are destroyed, then hair production is temporarily disabled.
By contrast, tweezing, shaving, and waxing all remove hair above the surface. These methods don’t target hair-producing follicles.
This form of hair removal works best with darker hair colors on light skin tones. This is because the lasers target hair melanin (color). Even if some hairs aren’t removed, the lightening of their color can reduce the appearance of hair on the skin.
Some of your hairs may also shed within a few days of your first treatment session.
Despite the high success rate of laser hair removal, hair follicles eventually heal. This results in new hair production. To ensure the best results possible, you will need to undergo multiple treatment sessions.
The Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal might be expensive, but it also comes with a number of benefits including:
- Gets rid of unwanted body hair. This is one of the most permanent solutions to removing/reducing body hair out there.
- Makes skin smooth and even. Laser hair removal can alleviate skin problems associated with hair growth like folliculitis and discoloration, and it can also reduce pigmentation problems associated with unwanted hair.
- Reduces time spent on removing body hair. Once you are done with laser treatments, you don’t have to spend any more time shaving or waxing. There is no need for depilation, waxing, shaving and any of the irritation that goes along with these procedures.
- No risk of ingrown hairs. Ingrown hairs, which often go hand-in-hand with shaving and waxing, are a thing of the past after laser hair removal.
This procedure isn’t recommended during pregnancy. This is primarily due to the fact that no human studies have proved the safety of laser hair treatments during pregnancy.
You may want laser hair treatments for excessive hair that has grown during your pregnancy. Common areas of increased hair growth include the breasts and stomach. However, in most cases, these hairs fall out on their own, so you may not need any medical treatments if you wait until after your pregnancy has ended.
If you’re pregnant and looking at laser hair removal, consider waiting until after delivery. Your doctor will likely recommend that you wait several weeks to be safe.
It’s a myth that laser hair removal can cause cancer. In fact, according to the
Different lasers are used to treat sun damage and wrinkles. The lasers used in hair removal or other skin procedures have such a minimal amount of radiation. Plus, the minimal amount is only being exacted on the surface of the skin. So, they don’t pose a risk of cancer.
What must I do after getting laser hair removal?
To avoid possible side effects, all patients need to protect their skin from the sun. After laser hair removal, you should:
Avoid direct sunlight from hitting your treated skin.
Not use a tanning bed, sun lamp, self tanners or any other indoor tanning equipment.
Follow your after-care instructions.
How long will the results of laser hair removal last?
Most patients remain hair free for months or even years. When some of the hair regrows, it will likely be less noticeable. To keep the area free of hair, a patient may need maintenance laser treatments.
When is it safe to have another laser treatment for hair removal?
This varies from patient to patient. Removing hair often requires a series of laser treatments. Most patients can have laser hair removal once every 6 to 8 weeks. Your technician will tell you when it is safe to have another treatment.
Where to get Laser Hair Removal in Mississauga?
The Body Clinic Skincare in Lorne Park, Mississauga is an advanced skincare laser clinic that specializes in Laser Hair Removal for men and women. We have professionally trained staff that deliver exceptional results. We offer the Soprano ICE Laser and Light Sheer Laser.
How to Prepare for Laser Hair Removal?
- Do not wax, tweeze, or sugar the area to be treated
- Do not use cream on the area to be treated
- Do not tan before your laser hair removal treatment
- Do not tan after your laser hair removal treatment
- Do not use skincare products on the areas to be treatment
- Shave before your appointment
- Let us know about any medications you may be on
- You can take over the counter pain reliever before your appointment
How Much Does Laser Hair Removal Cost?
To view our full price list Click Here.